Part of the value proposition of PROFIBUS is its ability to cut costs and improve operations across the life-cycle of a plant, from design right through ongoing maintenance and even revamps. It does this in many ways: at the engineering stage it simplifies plant design, eliminates hard wiring and requires less hardware, leading to faster commissioning and lowered costs. It supports better diagnostics, making commissioning much faster. PROFIBUS also helps achieve better productivity and higher product quality through the delivery of better and more timely data to operations and management staff. In addition, it supports advanced asset management strategies for general management and maintenance.
A huge number of vendor companies have developed PROFIBUS capable devices for discrete and process automation, therefore system integrators have many choices. This multi-vendor environment has lead to security and flexibility of supply. It also encourages healthy competition amongst vendors, leading to favorable pricing to end users.
The success of PROFIBUS is underpinned by the global technical and administrative network of PI, which has carefully guided its development to ensure end-users’ needs continue to be met. The applications coverage has been continuously extended to include new and relevant functionality(ie. integrated Functional Safety and motion control). Users have made substantial investments in training, tools, inventories, and plants.
In short, the value proposition of PROFIBUS has become commandingly high. That’s why PROFIBUS is the most successful fieldbus in history.
10 reasons for choosing PROFIBUS
- Preferred fieldbus for most end users and used in the largest number of applications worldwide
- Openness and interoperability, allowing changes/updates at low cost
- Protocol optimized for factory and process control using standardized interfaces, and therefore ideal for hybrid applications too
- Less hardware needed, which means less costs and space leading to lowered installation and life-cycle costs
- Easy migration to PROFINET
- Easy and consistent integration of functional safety and motion control for factory and process automation
- Flexible media redundancy to ensure maximized up-time
- Stringently managed technology development, including test and certification processes
- Supported by PI, the world’s largest fieldbus organization
- Huge vendor and product choice
More on PROFIBUS Here: