Balluff introduces distributed modular I/O for PROFINET
Balluff’s new generation of distributed modular I/O can be used in a cost effective way to replace standard slice I/O and distributed I/O solutions. Offering IP67 protection and industry standard connectors, many types of control data can be collected. Using standard 3-conductor cables, up to 4 slave devices can be connected to each master block, which communicates over the PROFINET network to the controller.
In lieu of a backplane, each I/O device is connected to an industry-standard M12 port, creating an IP67 connection. With the ability to be installed within a 20 meter radius from the master device, slave devices can be easily distributed across the machine. Utilizing a widely accepted and open point-to-point technology, IO-Link, a distributed modular I/O system is fieldbus independent, is easily configured and is vendor neutral.
Types of distributed modular I/O slave devices:
– Discrete Inputs & Outputs
– Analog Input & Output Channels
– Valve Manifold Control
– Industrial RFID Processors & Heads
– Specialty sensors for measurement, position, or color detection.
Advantages of distributed modular I/O systems include:
– Simplified controls quotation process by utilizing fieldbus neutral I/O devices.
– Reduction in the total cost per point by simplifying the cabinet cost and the assembly labor involved.
– Maximized spare I/O potential by leaving a flexible IO-Link port free for any type of device: discrete, analog, etc.
– Detailed diagnostic information can be collected from the devices easily and in a standard format.
– Flexibility to drive recipe changes directly from the PLC to the devices without frustrating manuals or pushbuttons.
These industrial master blocks support daisy-chain connections with a built-in switch; support Fast Start Up (FSU) as well as the Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP) for easy setup right out of the box. Master devices have easy-to-use, lockable pushbutton displays for quick setup and provide webpages for configuration or diagnostics purposes.
- Download our new whitepaper discussing the advantages of using Distributed Modular I/O
- Download our new brochure on Distributed Modular I/O
- Read our case study and see applications at: networks.balluff.com
- Review our products on our website at: www.balluff.com/io-link
# # #