At the beginning of the year it’s a time to reflect a bit on the year gone by and look ahead to the new year. In 2016 we watched the continuing evolution of the concepts of Industrie 4.0 and the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT)… and PROFINET’s place in them (we call that the PROFINET of Things).
Training in North America
PI North America in cooperation with the PROFI Interface Center announces that their free PROFINET one-day training classes will be held in 17 cities in 2017. Find a class in your area and get trained!
PROFIsafe Certified Designer Training
The next PROFIsafe Certified Designer Training takes place March 7-9, 2017 in Karlsruhe, Germany. The class will be conducted in the English language. This training is offered by PI, in conjunction with TÜV-Süd.
Ten Go-To Resources for PROFINET
There are more than ten resources for PROFINET, but here is a selection to provide a good starting point.
PI offers many different social media channels:
- Even the old standby: RSS
Here are some examples and time-saving opportunities to participate.
TECH TIP: Which Switch for PROFINET
Should you use a managed switch or an unmanaged switch with PROFINET? YES! Yes, you should use either a managed or an unmanaged Ethernet switch with PROFINET.
TECH TIP: What’s in a (PROFINET Device) name?
Hunter Harrington, PROFINET Consulting Engineer, of the PROFI Interface Center in Johnson City, Tennessee discusses the importance of PROFINET device naming plus rules and caveats in today’s engineering tools.
Network Diagnostic Book Announced
Dr. Hassan Kaghazchi, the Chairman of PI Ireland, has published a new book on PROFINET and PROFIBUS diagnostics. This book outlines the research conducted into diagnosing industrial communications networks with particular focus on PROFIBUS and PROFINET: Today industrial communications networks are part of the fabric of most manufacturing plants globally. The upkeep of these networks is crucial to smooth plant operations.
Regional News – January 2017
Regional PI Associations in Australia, China, Middle East, and the UK have news in this issue.
- PI Australia looks back at 2016 and ahead to 2017.
- PI China appeared in the exhibition of the 2016 China International Industry Fair in Shanghai.
- PI Middle East hosted a PROFIday and conducted a PROFIBUS class in Dubai; they are planning a design course.
- PI UK is supporting (and offering discounts to) the Industry 4.0 Summit & Factory of the Future Expo in 2017.
Product News – January 2017
New and updated products include:
- Belden – micro distributed control unit
- Mynah – DeltaV [Emerson] VIM2 module
- Siemens – PROFINET to PROFIBUS proxy
- Turck – IO-Link Master and RFID modules
- Wachendorff – PROFINET IRT encoder