Industrial Internet of Things Protocols
Standards and Protocols for the IIoT: A look at how open data access protocols like Profinet can be used to provide data for Internet of Things deployments.
A Stepped Approach to Securing Automation Systems
Professor Dr. Frithjof Klasen, a member of the Managing Board of the PROFIBUS Nutzerorganisation e.V. (PNO), discusses problems surrounding security for automation systems and explains how guidelines from communication technology organisations, such as PROFIBUS & PROFINET International (PI), can be helpful.
PI at embedded world with an IoT Theme
The Internet of Things (IoT) was a focal point of the embedded world Exhibition & Conference 2015. Theory and practice came together as the latest developments and industry interests were discussed in the exhibition halls and at the conference.
PROFIBUS: Just the Ticket for Locomotive Refueling Station
An international iron ore producer was recently looking to replace the aging positive displacement meters in a refueling station in its rail yard. The company relies on more than 20 locomotives and close to 1000 cars to transport nearly 75,000 tonnes of iron ore concentrate along its 420 km private railway every day.
IO-Link: Did You Know?
Did you know that the IO-Link Community already has 83 member companies? The interest in IO-Link continues unabated! This trend is confirmed by a recent study by Quest Marketing.
Tech Tip: What Are Application Profiles?
PROFIsafe, PROFIdrive, PROFIenergy… these terms are pretty common in the PI world. How are they used in the real world? And how do they actually work? PROFINET and PROFIBUS are both great protocols that can be used to send data across a network.
Training and Events
- Free one-day PROFINET classes in the USA have been very successful so far.
- The Profibus Australia Association (PAA) is putting on a 5-week training campaign.
- ABB will host two PROFIBUS courses in Leipzig and Dusseldorf.
- GE Intelligent Platforms has announced PLC training across the USA.
This issue brings news from Australia where an Internet of Things conference is scheduled for late April. Also, a new advertising campaign is being launched in North America highlighting PROFINET as a backbone for manufacturing uptime.
- Softing has a new video and article
- Balluff has two new Application Notes
- GE introduces a new demo board
- German Chancellor Merkel visits Siemens’ showcase factory
- Here are this month’s new products:
- Modular protocol functionality
- PC based controllers for IoT
- Multi-protocol ICs
- Heating control systems
- PROFIsafe rotary encoders
- A new PROFINET stack
- Expanded connector lineup