Recertification

Home Forums PROFINET Forum Recertification

• Creator
    Topic
  • #17114 Reply

Is it necessary to recertify existing devices when a new specification comes out?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Kyle McMillan

Nope, you only need to re-certify a PROFINET device when the certificate from the PI Certification Office expires.

#17116 Reply

Thanks

When that certificate expires, can you recertify on the original specification, or do you need to meet the new specification?

#17117 Reply

Kyle McMillan

You must meet the new specification – check with your PI Test Lab for a list of their current test versions.

#17118 Reply

Thanks again,

I looked at our certificate (issued 2013) and it states that “for all products that are placed in circulation by October 11, 2016 the certificate is valid for life”

So I take it we don’t need to recertify the existing product and meet the new specification?

#17139 Reply

Can anybody please confirm or deny that the above statement about not having to re-certify existing products placed in circulation before October 11th, 2016 is correct?

#17140 Reply

Kyle McMillan

Hi Roel,

Sorry, I thought I had replied to you!

For more information on recertification, you should read the formal process in the “How to get a certificate for a PROFINET device” document in the PI website’s Downloads section.

In section 8.8, it says:

8.8 Prolongation of a Certificate
    A certificate is valid for 3 years. It will expire 3 years after the test report is issued.

The manufacturer can ask for prolongation of the validity of the certificate. For this purpose, it is necessary to provide the PICO not later than three months after the certificates validity expires with a manufacturer declaration. This declaration must contain the following statements:
    • Declaring the unchanged conformance of the product with the tested prototype in
    hardware and software in accordance with the test report (the last favorable test).
    • That there is no newer version of the device that uses the same device identification, i.e.
    Vendor-ID, Device-ID, DAP-Module-ID.

Otherwise the prolongation requires a retest.
    The text for the manufacturer declaration (see [4]) can be obtained from the PICO.

On the basis of the existing test report, of the new application form and of the manufacturer
    declaration the PICO grants the prolongation of the certificate.

Your devices that were sold prior to Oct 11, 2016 were certified. Any devices sold after that date are not certified.

– Kyle

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Recertification

Registration Details